Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Seven Blocks: Sunnyside Queens
QUEENS (WABC) -- New York is a city of neighborhoods. Neighborhoods with unique people, places and foods.
Many of these neighborhoods are connected by more than 650 miles of subway tracks.
Sunnyside is located on the western part of Queens, just in the shadow of Manhattan. If you want to get there by Subway, you take the 7 line to 46st stop. The 7 line runs right through the heart of the neighborhood.
And when you take your first steps into the neighborhood, the first thing you notice is the wide variety of restaurant choices you have right along the subway line.
"We have Japanese sushi, we got a Napolese guy down that way, we got Tex-Mex that way, and we have Mexican that way, we have Turkish that way," said Ira Greenburg.
About four blocks north you will find Sunnyside Gardens. Sycamore trees form inviting canopies over the street where residents live in mainly two-story brick townhomes. The historic planned community was started in 1924 and was designed to be a suburban surprise within the city. Homes share interior gardens where parties and events are common place and where residents are very proud of their vegetable gardens.
Four to seven blocks from the subway stop is Calvary Cemetery, located on the eastern border with Woodside. It is the first Catholic Cemetery in NY state. It was established in 1785, 9 yrs after the signing of the Declaration of Independence and where many famous war heroes are buried along with 1800's NYC Mayor Hugh J Grant.
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos