Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Seven Blocks: Greenpoint
GREENPOINT, Brooklyn (WABC) -- Time for another trip to a neighborhood you may not know much about as you focus on the daily grind of your subway commute, passing through stop after stop.
It's just on the other side of the East river in the Northwest section of Brooklyn.
The G line the only subway line that does not enter Brooklyn. And when you first step out into the neighborhood, you may feel like you have entered another country.
In fact the neighborhood is often lovingly called "Little Poland" because of its large Polish population. It is the second largest concentration of Polish Americans in the United States after Chicago. And within the first blocks of the subway stop you will find some of the most authentic Polish food in the city.
About five blocks south east is St. Stanislaus Kostka church built in 1903. On the streets outside this Polish American landmark with its soaring gray brick steeple, you will find reminders of when Pope John Paul II visited the church.
A statue of the beloved Pope proudly stands outside the rectory and inside where former polish president Lech Walesa prayed.
Six blocks away is McGolrick Park. Nine acres of serene getaway perfect for families, nature, and even dogs.
A prominent feature of the park is the famous Shelter Pavilion. The city landmark honors the USS Monitor. It was the first Ironclad warship commissioned by the US Navy during the American Civil War and designed by the Continental Iron works in Greenpoint.
If you want more history, the historic district is about 6 to 7 blocks northwest of the subway stop. Great architecture and former home of the famed Faber Pencil Factory. The company's diamond-enclosed emblem marking the spot where many of the country's pencils were once made.
History, Restaurants and lots of community pride, can all be found within 7 blocks of the subway stop in Greenpoint.
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85 3 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos