Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
College graduate finances
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A new crop of college grads is about to enter the working world, and the financial decisions they make now could impact them through retirement.
Today, it's a diploma in hand. Soon, it's a first paycheck. And when leaving college, most new grads will be managing their own money for the first time.
No matter how small that first paycheck might be, set something aside in a rainy-day fund, and for purchases in the not-so-distant future, like a home.
Even if you're in your early 20s and think, I'm not ready for a house yet, if you just start setting aside a little bit with every paycheck, you won't really notice it.
Understand the retirement plan outlined by your new employer, and don't be shy about asking them to explain it, like if they'll match your contributions. Also ask for an explanation of what company health insurance covers.
When moving out of the dorm for the first time to enter the real world, renter's insurance can save you money in case of an emergency. Even if you don't think you own very much, if you just have some key electronics, a computer, just a decent wardrobe, that can really add up. And renter's insurance can protect that if anything happens to your property.
Finally, also know the terms of student loans, when you'll be expected to start paying them off, and have a plan in place to pay the bills.
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos