Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Seven Blocks: East Harlem's "El Barrio"
NEW YORK (WABC) -- You don't have to walk far from the station to know why the 110th street and Lexington Ave stop in East Harlem is affectionately called "El Barrio."
Within feet of the stop you will spot a neighborhood botanica, a religious store where you will find candles, herbal medicine and religious items native to Latin America. Next door, a store selling vegetables and fruits common to the islands, and The Cristo Rey barber shop. In all three, Spanish is the preferred language.
Within 7 blocks of the station, there are many reminders of the vibrant Latino community here and its history in El Barrio.
This is also where you'll find the Cruz brothers. They came here from Puerto Rico in 1961 and their corner stand is a long time fixture in a neighborhood rich with pride.
"I was the first commercial business on the street. I started with a $2 dollar license, everybody used to come to the Marqueta," said Wyson Cruz.
Today the La Marqueta along Park Ave is a shell of its former self, but an effort to bring the famous Latin American Marketplace back to its glory is in the works.
About 5 blocks away from the station is El Museo del Bario. New York's leading Latino cultural institution and one of the gems in the neighborhood. It welcomes visitors of all backgrounds to discover the artistic and cultural tapestry that is the fabric of the community.
Finally, be sure to stop by the corner cart at Lexington and 116th street and try a coquito coconut ice cream.
Great food, diverse history, and lots of pride can all be found within 7 blocks of the 110th street stop in East Harlem.
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 49 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 52 min ago
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 53 min ago
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments 31 min ago
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school 8 min ago
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 27 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
53 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos