Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Voluntary smoking ban on East Harlem block
EAST HARLEM (WABC) -- If you want to smoke, don't come to East Harlem on 110th street between Park and Lexington, where there is a voluntary ban on outdoor smoking.
This is all a part of a new initiative by the Manhattan Smoke-Free Partnership and the East Harlem Asthma Center, which is located right on the block where the ban is located.
So far there have been fifteen businesses and one residential building that have signed on. They all agree to display the sign and create a smoke free zone that extends 15 feet from the entrance. If smoking 15 feet from the building puts you on the street, that basically bans smoking on the sidewalks.
In 2008, East Harlem had the highest rates of asthma-related hospital visits for kids between the ages of 5 to 14 - smoking is one trigger for the condition.
The voluntary ban will not be officially enforced, and some businesses who agreed to it, don't have the signs up. In fact, one has the sign next to another one that is promoting cigarettes. Many people even seem to be ignoring it altogether.
The Hellgate Post Office on the block did not sign the pledge, reportedly because many of the workers smoke outside.
"We are committed to our strong environmental and employee safety program," the government agency said in a statement.
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland 36 min ago
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect identified in attempted baby abduction 32 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Sea Isle fire destroys 3 beachfront homes 24 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Yonkers family outraged after dog mauled by pit bull 19 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
15 min ago
- Suspect identified in attempted baby...
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos