Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Increasing number of kids in summer school
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Parent Keanna Heron isn't happy with the upcoming summer school fad. "It shouldn't be so much kids in summer school. I think it's disgusting. I do."
12-thousand more students will have to spend part of their summer in school.
Dennis Walcott, NYC Schools Chancellor explains the benefits,
"I'd rather have more students in summer school to get the foundation for learning to prepare for September than missing students who then need that foundation and unfortunately will not get it over the summer."
Standards were raised by the state education department last year, requiring higher scores to pass the state math and English language arts tests. The increase in summer enrollment will reportedly cost the city 4 million dollars. Queens City council member Daniel Dromm is a former school teacher.
"One wonders if the educational programs that the chancellor has implemented are actually working. The increase in summer school shows that they're not."
Mayor Bloomberg explains both sides, "Summer school, in some sense it says we did not do enough during the year, in some senses we're giving the kids another opportunity for more help, which is what we should do. And we will find a way to pay for it."
Some Jackson Heights parents see a positive side to summer school.
"I think it's good. I think they should spend more time in school because a lot of these kids don't really know what's going on and I believe it's got to do with the parenting."
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act