Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
7 Blocks: Fordham Road
BRONX (WABC) -- Fordham Road is the largest station on the concourse line, and for a good reason.
When you first step into this neighborhood, you find yourself in one of the largest shopping districts in the city.
With more than 300 specialty shops, you can find everything from jewelry and clothing to electronics and food. And you'll also find plenty of deals, which is why, for years, it has been the premier shopping destination in the Bronx.
"It is very convenient and also more economic than other urban areas," shopper Indhira Ramirez said.
About seven blocks east of the station, you will find Fordham College, the oldest and largest of the 10 colleges at Fordham University. Founded in 1838, it was the first Catholic institution of higher learning in the northeast.
"It is a part of New York," student Lou Steadman said. "It comes to you in the beginning. New York is my school. Fordham is my campus."
A block south of the station is the Loew's Paradise Theatre. Built in 1929, it was among the top 25 theaters of its time. It closed down in the 90s but reopened in 2000 and is a cherished historic landmark in the neighborhood.
"Bus tours come by and make the people in neighborhood to have a little more pride," resident Milton Johnson said.
But the hidden gem in the neighborhood is found about three blocks north of the station. The beat up old shack may not look like much, but it was the last home of the great American writer, Edgar Allen Poe. The landmark is protected by fencing and needs renovating, but for residents who take the time to notice, it is an important fixture in the community.
"It is something you walk past, when you give yourself a moment, to sit down and think about what it must have been like when he was here," resident Evita Robinson said.
History, shopping, and a quest for knowledge can all be found within 7 blocks of the Fordham Road station in the Bronx.
- AccuWeather Alert: Stormy day
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy 32 min ago
- Threat prompts lockdown at Saddle Brook schools 13 min ago
- UK: London terror attack suspects had been probed
- West Point soldier charged with videotaping women
- Truck driver helps catch hit-and-run suspect in Queens
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday 16 min ago
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured 53 min ago
- Operation Swill: cheap booze in premium liquor bottles
- Photos: Accuweather forecast in pictures
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem...
16 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos