Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Economy gender gap
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The healthcare industry has been a rare bright spot in a dismal jobs market. It is also one of the reasons why 47-year old Stephen Waugh switched careers from a major tech firm to nursing. He landed a job at the Stony Brook Medical Center, where he saw an opportunity in a field that is traditionally dominated by women.
"I don't know if I was foolish or not, but I did, partly because I did come into the workforce as a man in his 40s going into this field where I knew there wouldn't be a lot of men my age that I would be competing for jobs with," said Waugh.
Researchers say that healthcare is one field where men are finding jobs at a faster rate than women. Since the recovery started two years ago, men gained 805,000 jobs, while women lost 281,000 jobs in that same period. It is a major shift from the start of the recession, when men were the big job losers. Economists say it's not surprising they are now gaining jobs faster.
Layoffs for teachers and librarians are hurting women more. On a broader scale, some recruiters are seeing an uptick in job seekers.
With no dramatic improvement expected soon for the jobs front, one newcomer to the healthcare profession isn't complaining about making less and working harder.
"I'm incredibly grateful for what I get to do every day. But secondly, I feel like I dodged a bullet," said Waugh.
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 42 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store 47 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 45 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
42 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos