Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Elizabeth Smart weighs in on death of Brooklyn boy
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Few people understand the horror of being abducted better than Elizabeth Smart.
In 2002, a man snuck into her bedroom and took her away as her parents slept in their beds.
Smart was tormented for 9 months before she was found. David Novarro sat down with her and her dad, Ed to talk about what happened to Leiby Kletzky.
The Smarts can't help but remember their own nightmare as they follow the latest developments in the Kletzky case. "I know how I felt during my kidnapping, during my experience, and I never want another child feel that way," said Elizabeth Smart.
Smart was 14-years-old when she was abducted out of her home and sexually abused for 9 months by a handyman that been hired to do work around their house.
Elizabeth and her dad say the Kletzky tragedy can be turned into a lesson on how to prepare for the worst.
"Sadly, there is nothing we can do to rewind the past. But I think we can prepare for the future. I think it is important to talk with your kids," she said.
To help start the conversation, Smart and her family, through their Elizabeth Smart Foundation are promoting the website, www.radkids.org which stands for: Resist Aggression Defensively.
Ed and Elizabeth say it's not about pointing a finger of blame on anyone. Their hearts go out to the Kletzky family but they know this tragedy is having a ripple effect on families throughout the country.
"Our hearts are just broken for this family. I mean losing a child, I don't think there is anything worse in life. And we just want them to know how much we care and how we don't want to see this happen again," adds Ed Smart.
Elizabeth adds, "My advice to children is not to live life in fear, to talk to your parents."
For more information on The New York Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, please visit: NYSPCC.org
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 5 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway 43 min ago
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
5 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos