Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Seven Blocks: Broadway stop in Astoria
ASTORIA (WABC) -- The neighborhood of Astoria was named after John Jacob Astor, the country's first multi-millionaire who died in the 1800's. Today, this community is still rich in culture, restaurants and art.
Within 7 blocks and beyond of the Broadway Station on the N and the Q train, you will quickly discover why Astoria is famous for its many Greek restaurants. When the makers of the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" needed a wedding cake, they came to the Omonia Café, which is located just down the block from the station.
"Food wise - Greek anything. It's endless. There is food all over the place. Every block has a million restaurants, and they are all opened late," said Astoria resident Christopher Lavas.
7 blocks southwest of the stop is the Museum of the Moving Image. It is the city's premiere location, and it pays tribute to the art, history, and technology that is involved in the media arts. Sesame Street is still recorded across the street at the Kaufman Studios and the museum is currently paying tribute to Jim Henson.
"It does what it does through exhibitions, interactive experiences, and film screenings," said Executive Director Carl Goodman.
Heading west, just beyond the 7 blocks, you will find the Socrates Sculpture Park. Hidden away along the East River, it is the only public outdoor park in the city that is dedicated to providing artists with a space to create, and exhibit large scale sculpture and multimedia displays.
Throw in the shopping along Steinway St. about seven blocks east, and just about everything you need or want from food, art, and media can be found near the Broadway stop in Astoria.
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos