Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
A different kind of date night service
WASHINGTON, D.C. (WABC) -- Making your mark in the world takes lots of work, and sometimes not enough play.
Now, a group of innovative investors looked for a way to mix business with pleasure.
"In that discussion it was like, you know, if we help couples go out and do stuff, that's going to make their relationships stronger," Rob Schumann, Date Night CEO, said.
The end result is Date Night, a web venture that launched in March.
Member couples give their preferences, and each Monday three completely preplanned weekend nights out arrive in their email, ranging from concerts to outdoor adventures to tours of Washington D.C. landmarks.
Unlike traditional group-buying sites, there's no discount involved, unless you count the convenience.
"We buy the tickets for you, tell you how to get there, make the restaurant reservations, you know, whatever the components are," Schumann said.
That was a selling point for Ed and Chrissie Devinney, busy parents of teenagers.
"You don't have to think of the ideas. You don't have to call around to find the prices. You don't have to coordinate, if you know, we go there, where are we are we gonna go for dinner, and it's all kind of laid out for you, and who's gonna -- and times and things. It's all sort of laid out for you," Devinney said.
But what about the kids? Date night now has an answer. A sister site, Sitter Circles, has grown out of child care requests and matches parents with local sitters.
Date night is just in the D.C.area now, but looks for more cities coming soon.
- Metro North train collision to affect service all week
- AccuWeather: Humid week ahead, with showers
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Suspect in critical condition after NJ police shooting
- Tornadoes slam Midwest; 1 dead in Oklahoma
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello as probe continues
- Tipping dispute leads to assault outside LI nightclub
- Rally planned after West Village hate crime murder
- Winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Florida city anxious to learn Powerball jackpot winner
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos