Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Seven Blocks: Stillwell Ave. Station in Coney Island
CONEY ISLAND (WABC) -- Taking a look around the Seven Blocks of the Stillwell Ave. Station in Coney Island.
Stillwell Ave. is the last stop for 4 separate subway lines, in what is one of the world's largest above-ground terminal facilities.
And when you step out of the station, you step into the home of one of America's most famous amusement parks.
Welcome to Coney Island. The beach front resort reached its peak in the first half of the 20th century and is now seeing a second rebirth of sorts.
"I think it's the best area in the whole city, from my point of view," said Kasimir Katsnelson.
Last year, the new and improved Luna Park re-opened to the public. The original got its start in 1903. Today, the new park is the home of 19 new attractions and games.
Across the street is the grand daddy of roller coasters, the famous "Cyclone."
The ride is a New York City landmark and on the national register of historic places.
Possibly, as famous is Nathan's famous hot dog. One block from the train station.
But if you ask a local, he'll tell you while the hot dogs are now sold across the country you have to come to the company's first location on Surf Ave. to enjoy the unsung hero here the french fries.
Four blocks away from the train stop is the home of the Brooklyn Cyclones. The minor league team plays its games in MCU Park, just off the Coney Island boardwalk.
About four to five blocks in the opposite direction on Surf Avenue is the NY aquarium. It has been there and open for business since 1896.
Documenting all of the rich history here is the Coney Island museum, just a block and half from the station.
Famous eats, historic attractions and lots of family fun can all be found within 7 blocks of the Stillwell Ave. station in Coney Island.
- 4 people shot in Brooklyn
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Sunday snow storm
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Surveillance from East Harlem buildings near explosion
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Sketches released of suspects wanted in lurings
- Bus driver suffers medical emergency, 2 injured
- ESPN: Phil Jackson signs with Knicks
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos