Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Economy might not affect Halloween sales
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Retailers don't think consumers will be too spooked by the economy to spend a little more on Halloween this year. According to the National Retail Federation, the average American is expected to spend about 72-dollars on costumes, candy and décor, that's nearly seven billion dollars and higher than last year.
Most people will spend the majority of their budget on costumes. The average person will spend about $25 on costumes for themselves, their children and their pets. We also see the average person spending about $20 on candy, and $20 on decorations.
Still, a third of consumers say the economy will impact how much they spend, and some will moderate spending by making a costume, wearing last year's costume, or buying less candy. Halloween is also an opportunity for retailers to gauge how consumers will spend during the holidays, the biggest retail season of the year.
What types of advertising is working? What are they buying for kids versus buying for themselves? Are they buying more discretionary items or are they buying necessities? Those are all trends that retailers are trying to get a better understanding of as we head into Christmas.
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn 56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement 10 min ago
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half 24 min ago
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown 30 min ago
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
10 min ago
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after...
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos