Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Automotive industry makes spare car tires optional
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It's bad enough to get a flat. Imagine the frustration when you discover that your car doesn't come with a spare.
The automotive website Edmunds.com says 14 percent of new cars this year came with a tire repair kit instead of a spare. Eliminating the spare can save from 20 to 100 pounds in vehicle weight, which can translate into slightly better gas mileage, more trunk space and most importantly, lower costs for the manufacturer. .
The kit helps cover small holes in a tire's tread. All you need to do is take it out, plug in the power source in the cigarette lighter, screw the device on to your tire and turn it on. .
Roadside assistance will still be needed to cover major problems but the repair kits' manufacturers say fewer people are changing tires anyway. Better roads, tires and vehicles lessen the risk of flats and tires only get torn by nails and pieces of metal every so often.
Still, not all auto-repair shops agree with that assessment as they deal with the customers who only discover they don't have a spare in case of an accident. They are now taking more time warning the public of car manufacturers' new practices and teaching them new reflexes when purchasing a vehicle.
So don't forget to check the trunk before signing on for your new car. It could spare you a lot of frustration.
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman 49 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos