Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Inwood is more than a bustling residential and commerical area
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Last stop on the A line in Upper Manhattan is Inwood.
While Inwood is a bustling residential and commercial area, you don't have to go far to discover the past.
Past means going as far back as the middle ages. Five blocks south of the station is Fort Tryon Park and that is where you will find the Cloisters Museum and Gardens. This branch of the Metropolitan Museum of Art is devoted to medieval art and culture.
Visitors say they are particularly fond of the Bonnofont Garden, it is a medieval herb garden. You can see and view the Hudson and George Washington Bridge and beautiful gardens and the park surrounding it.
Just two blocks from the subway stop is Inwood Hill Park, the last natural forest still standing on Manhattan Island. Here you will find the caves used by the Lenape Tribe before Europeans arrived, and a rock. Not just any rock, but a rock said to mark the spot where Lenape's sold the island to the Dutch for 60 guilders and some trinkets. Many doubt that is how it went down.
Two blocks past a row of stores and restaurants is another reminder of our past, The Dyckman House Museum. It is the last reaming Dutch colonial-era farmhouse in Manhattan.
You can see what the neighborhood looked like before they plowed Broadway.
There is even basketball history there out of the complex of 7, 14 story residential buildings called the Dyckman Houses, Kareem Abdul Jabbar grew up. The development also contains one of the most famous street ball courts in the city.
Medieval art, New York history and amazing views of nature can all be found within in 7 blocks of the 207th St. stop in Inwood.
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 1 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
38 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos