Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Step into New Dorp, a community lined with restaurants and shopping
NEW DORP (WABC) -- At almost the halfway point on the Staten Island Railway is New Dorp. You step into a community lined with restaurants and lots of shopping.
Just south of the stop, along New Dorp Lane and Hylan Boulevard there is plenty to choose from.
"I've been for over 40 years and it's convenient to shopping for food, clothing, library. You have everything you want," said Angela Boffardi, resident.
About six blocks north of the stop, you will find the home of Engine Company 165, nicknamed the toxic avenger, and Ladder Company 85, nicknamed the monster truck. This is the only engine company in Staten Island that has the special equipment to deal with hazardous materials and mitigation.
And if you want a good dose of fresh air and nature, you only have to go a few blocks south past the seven block perimeter. This little oasis is called the Cedar Grove Beach. Many of the residents would like to keep it a secret, but they can't help boast about it.
"It's picturesque. It's nice. It's like a little piece of California in New Dorp Beach," laughed Suzanne Boffardi, resident.
Next to the beach is Miller Field, a former United States air force facility. When built in the 1920's it was the only coastal defense air station in the eastern US. It is now on the national register of historic places a popular park with the neighborhood.
On the weekend you will see kids playing soccer, and all kinds of sports.
Wide open parks, shopping and restaurants and a serene beach can all be found in New Dorp, Staten Island.
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Budget vote approved in the House 37 min ago
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos