Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Now is the perfect time to apply for a seasonal job
NEW YORK, NY (WABC) -- Long lines, packed lots, and big sales tis the season to spend money. But with the unemployment rate still hovering around 9%, many Americans are in need of some Christmas cash.
If you're one of the millions hoping for a seasonal job, now is the time to apply.
Last year, retail added more than 627,000 seasonal workers, and according to snagajob.com, some managers expect to hire 5 % more workers this year. Here are three words of advice to make you stand out in the employment line.
1- Knowledge. Apply at places where you shop, or get to know the company's products and services. Employers will be relieved to know they won't have to spend extra time and money training you.
2- Availability. Stores will be open late. Let the employer know you're flexible and can show up on time and work late.
3- Sell your experience. Tailor your resume and highlight any customer service experience. Show them you can handle the high stress with respect and a good attitude. Before you sell their merchandise, you need to sell yourself.
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help 32 min ago
- NYPD detective accused of hacking, spying on associates
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Ex-priest arrested after working with kids in NJ
- Wake to be held for slain Hofstra student as questions linger
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma 54 min ago
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Photos: Most Wanted: Yonkers Police Department
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
51 min ago
- Oklahoma tornado death toll revised to 24,...
5 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos