Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Now is the perfect time to apply for a seasonal job
NEW YORK, NY (WABC) -- Long lines, packed lots, and big sales tis the season to spend money. But with the unemployment rate still hovering around 9%, many Americans are in need of some Christmas cash.
If you're one of the millions hoping for a seasonal job, now is the time to apply.
Last year, retail added more than 627,000 seasonal workers, and according to snagajob.com, some managers expect to hire 5 % more workers this year. Here are three words of advice to make you stand out in the employment line.
1- Knowledge. Apply at places where you shop, or get to know the company's products and services. Employers will be relieved to know they won't have to spend extra time and money training you.
2- Availability. Stores will be open late. Let the employer know you're flexible and can show up on time and work late.
3- Sell your experience. Tailor your resume and highlight any customer service experience. Show them you can handle the high stress with respect and a good attitude. Before you sell their merchandise, you need to sell yourself.
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos