Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
What to check before your Thanksgiving road trip
If a thanksgiving road trip is in your immediate future, chances are you've made a pre-drive checklist, everything from fueling up to mapping your route to packing your bags.
But there's another area you might want to check too.
It is important to make sure your tires are in good shape before you venture off on your holiday travel, considering it is the only part of the car that touches the road.
Dan zielinski of the rubber manufacturers association says one simple test only takes a minute, and a penny.
"Take the penny, put it upside down, right into the tread groove. Now if all of Lincoln's head is blocked like it is here, you're in good shape, you have enough tread on the tire. But if you can see all of Lincoln's head, if you can see this, then it's time for a new tire," he said.
Worn-out treads like these simply can't grip the road effectively, even more crucial as the weather gets colder -- and roads, slicker.
You can potentially be at risk for loss of control if one tire gets damaged or worn-out, especially if the roads get wet.
And with prices at the pump still relatively high, proper tire pressure can help you save some cash by improving gas mileage.
Check for a sticker in the driver's door jamb or the glove box for your vehicle's optimum numbers.
- Jet may have turned; 2 passengers investigated 53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment 21 min ago
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt 27 min ago
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Jet may have turned; 2 passengers...
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos