Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
What to check before your Thanksgiving road trip
If a thanksgiving road trip is in your immediate future, chances are you've made a pre-drive checklist, everything from fueling up to mapping your route to packing your bags.
But there's another area you might want to check too.
It is important to make sure your tires are in good shape before you venture off on your holiday travel, considering it is the only part of the car that touches the road.
Dan zielinski of the rubber manufacturers association says one simple test only takes a minute, and a penny.
"Take the penny, put it upside down, right into the tread groove. Now if all of Lincoln's head is blocked like it is here, you're in good shape, you have enough tread on the tire. But if you can see all of Lincoln's head, if you can see this, then it's time for a new tire," he said.
Worn-out treads like these simply can't grip the road effectively, even more crucial as the weather gets colder -- and roads, slicker.
You can potentially be at risk for loss of control if one tire gets damaged or worn-out, especially if the roads get wet.
And with prices at the pump still relatively high, proper tire pressure can help you save some cash by improving gas mileage.
Check for a sticker in the driver's door jamb or the glove box for your vehicle's optimum numbers.
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after Metro-North derailment
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos