Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Baby boomer online dating
Suzanne Forman is on a blind date with Todd Grodnick, who she's only met on the phone.
Like many unmarried baby boomers, Forman considers companionship more important in her 50s.
"I mean, I can't believe I'm 55. I feel like I'm still 20 or 30 something. I still have that energy. I still have, you know, that spark -- that um --but I do have a lot of candles on my cake," she said.
Introductions through friends and relatives haven't worked.
"They kept trying to set me up with friends of theirs and each one was just worst than the next. I was a vegetarian and one of the guys they set me up with took me to a Moroccan restaurant and ate raw meat in front of me," Forman said.
So Forman, and a growing number of singles over 50, are going on-line to find potential matches.
Staci Dansey is a 61-year-old real estate agent.
"I can't imagine spending the rest of my life alone," she said.
After her marriage ended, Dansey's daughter-in-law made a suggestion.
"She said, 'oh, you've got to get on one of those on-line dating sites.' and I said, 'I don't think so. I had heard horror stories."
Stalkers, scam artists and worse. Online dating sites say because they collect background information on customers, it's actually a much safer way to meet people.
Users of online dating sites described it as a numbers game. The more people they meet the greater of the odds they have to meet someone who wants a loving, warm, committed, serious and monogamous relationship.
While some thought the older generation was afraid of technology, they seem to be adapting to it.
The life rules are also different for baby boomers. Most are established, with families, homes and everything that comes with maturity.
But the results can be the same.
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler 32 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident 24 min ago
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville 5 min ago
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos