Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Baby boomer online dating
Suzanne Forman is on a blind date with Todd Grodnick, who she's only met on the phone.
Like many unmarried baby boomers, Forman considers companionship more important in her 50s.
"I mean, I can't believe I'm 55. I feel like I'm still 20 or 30 something. I still have that energy. I still have, you know, that spark -- that um --but I do have a lot of candles on my cake," she said.
Introductions through friends and relatives haven't worked.
"They kept trying to set me up with friends of theirs and each one was just worst than the next. I was a vegetarian and one of the guys they set me up with took me to a Moroccan restaurant and ate raw meat in front of me," Forman said.
So Forman, and a growing number of singles over 50, are going on-line to find potential matches.
Staci Dansey is a 61-year-old real estate agent.
"I can't imagine spending the rest of my life alone," she said.
After her marriage ended, Dansey's daughter-in-law made a suggestion.
"She said, 'oh, you've got to get on one of those on-line dating sites.' and I said, 'I don't think so. I had heard horror stories."
Stalkers, scam artists and worse. Online dating sites say because they collect background information on customers, it's actually a much safer way to meet people.
Users of online dating sites described it as a numbers game. The more people they meet the greater of the odds they have to meet someone who wants a loving, warm, committed, serious and monogamous relationship.
While some thought the older generation was afraid of technology, they seem to be adapting to it.
The life rules are also different for baby boomers. Most are established, with families, homes and everything that comes with maturity.
But the results can be the same.
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos