Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Teen mom shoots intruder while on phone with 911
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A new mother from Oklahoma who shot and killed an intruder while on the phone with 911 said the dispatcher told her she couldn't shoot until the man broke into her home.
Her lawyer says she had every right to shoot the intruder and so far police agree.
"I wouldn't have done it but it was my son, gotta protect him," said Sarah McKinley.
The 18-year-old McKinley takes maternal instinct to a whole new level.
"I walked over and got the 12 gauge, went in the bedroom and got the pistol, put the bottle in his mouth then I called 911," she said.
McKinley admits she shot and killed a man to protect her three month old son.
On New Year's Eve, police say two men, one armed with a 12-inch hunting knife tried to break into her home near Oklahoma City.
McKinley says she thought one of the men had been stalking her.
"He was from door to door trying to bust in...They said I couldn't shoot him till he came in the door," she adds.
The dispatcher is heard on the tapes saying "I can't tell you that you can do that but you do what you have to do to protect your baby."
The moment the intruder stepped inside, McKinley fired.
The last two weeks have been life changing for McKinley.
On Christmas Day her husband died of Lung Cancer.
While her son may grow up without his father, this is one little boy who will always know mom will do anything to protect him.
"I knew that I was going to have to choose him or my son and it wasn't going to be my son so I did what I had to do," she adds.
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 28 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos