Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
7 Blocks in Williamsburg, Brooklyn
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- When people step out into the northern neighborhood of Williamsburg, Brooklyn on Bedford Avenue, they step into a place where old timers and hipsters live side by side. Here, owning a bicycle is often the preferred form of transportation, even when looking to catch a ride on the subway.
"They tie their backs and they get the train at 6 o'clock," said Santos Concepcion, a resident. "When you come, you see all the bikes gone. You just saving money."
Four blocks north of the stop is the beautiful Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Our Lord. It is one of the only examples of its kind of Byzantine revival architecture in N.Y. Built in 1922, it is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Four blocks west of the stop is East River State Park, a seven-acre waterfront park with stunning views of Manhattan.
"I am really excited about it," said resident Maria Benvenuto. "I have a dog. He loves any green opportunity he gets to run around."
The park includes a newly built soccer park, which is important because soccer is very popular in the neighborhood.
Seven blocks north of the stop is McCarren Park; it also attracts soccer players young and old.
However, it is what is coming across the street that has people talking. The city is building a $50 million dollar pool slated to open this summer, and the city may also build an ice skating rink there for the winter.
"We are excited to have a pool nearby," said resident Jeremy Mosely.
Family fun, historic buildings, a bustling mom-and-pop restaurant and clothing center can all be found within seven blocks of the Bedford Avenue stop in Brooklyn.
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD commisioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later 10 min ago
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre 15 min ago
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest
- Freeze takes an icy grip on much of the nation
- Bob Dylan's Newport electric guitar for sale
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos