Eyewitness News First At 4:00 P.M
Supermarkets may be scamming you
NEW YORK (WABC) -- You clip coupons, you buy store brands, and you loyally use a store loyalty card. But you may be missing out on some other ways to save money at the supermarket.
The May issue of "Consumer Reports" identifies some of areas where shoppers might overspend, and not even know it, starting with what looks like a sale.
When you talk about those deals, 10 for 10 dollars or 5 for 5 dollars, the reality is that rarely, if ever do you have to buy the maximum amount to qualify for the discount. It's that marketers are planting a number in your head.
Shoppers should also survey the entire store shelf top to bottom. Vendors can pay retailers money to secure shelf space, right at a consumer's eye-level. But that product may not be the best deal.
Also consumers shouldn't assume an item featured at the end of an aisle or in a special display is on sale. Check the price tag.
Consumers assume that items placed on end displays are in fact on sale, and while that's true most of the time they are, there are many instances in which they're not on sale.
And if you're one of those people who simply can't avoid impulse shopping in-store, consider ordering groceries online or with your smart phone. Many major supermarket chains do in-store pickup, or home delivery for a fee.
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb? 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid 10 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor 23 min ago
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- FBI shoots man possibly linked to Boston bomb suspects,...
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Connecticut rail service returns to normal
- Funeral to be held Wednesday for slain Hofstra student
- AAA: 31.2M drivers to take Memorial Day road trip
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark about Tiger
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
10 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos