New Jersey News
New Meadowlands Stadium gets new name
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The new home of the New York Jets and Giants is now called MetLife Stadium.
Insurance giant MetLife finalized a deal to buy the naming rights for the $1.6 billion stadium that will be the site of the 2014 Super Bowl.
The Jets and Giants will reportedly split $17 million to $20 million each year over 20 years for the deal.
The teams privately built the stadium, which has been known as New Meadowlands Stadium since opening last year.
The Giants and Jets were close to a deal with Allianz in 2008 that would have been worth an estimated $30 million annually.
Negotiations, however, ended when it was disclosed the that the German insurance company once had ties to the Nazis, a revelation that brought criticism from Jewish organizations, Holocaust survivors and some football fans.
new jersey, new york jets, new york giants, new jersey news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto 15 min ago
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide