New Jersey News
New Meadowlands Stadium gets new name
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The new home of the New York Jets and Giants is now called MetLife Stadium.
Insurance giant MetLife finalized a deal to buy the naming rights for the $1.6 billion stadium that will be the site of the 2014 Super Bowl.
The Jets and Giants will reportedly split $17 million to $20 million each year over 20 years for the deal.
The teams privately built the stadium, which has been known as New Meadowlands Stadium since opening last year.
The Giants and Jets were close to a deal with Allianz in 2008 that would have been worth an estimated $30 million annually.
Negotiations, however, ended when it was disclosed the that the German insurance company once had ties to the Nazis, a revelation that brought criticism from Jewish organizations, Holocaust survivors and some football fans.
new jersey, new york jets, new york giants, new jersey news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers 21 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli 27 min ago
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green