New Jersey News
New Meadowlands Stadium gets new name
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The new home of the New York Jets and Giants is now called MetLife Stadium.
Insurance giant MetLife finalized a deal to buy the naming rights for the $1.6 billion stadium that will be the site of the 2014 Super Bowl.
The Jets and Giants will reportedly split $17 million to $20 million each year over 20 years for the deal.
The teams privately built the stadium, which has been known as New Meadowlands Stadium since opening last year.
The Giants and Jets were close to a deal with Allianz in 2008 that would have been worth an estimated $30 million annually.
Negotiations, however, ended when it was disclosed the that the German insurance company once had ties to the Nazis, a revelation that brought criticism from Jewish organizations, Holocaust survivors and some football fans.
new jersey, new york jets, new york giants, new jersey news
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Workers remove rubble in East Harlem 54 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help 37 min ago
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey 17 min ago
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 51 min ago
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel 27 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Authorities continue to clear debris from...
59 min ago