June 29, 2011 (WABC) -- At some point it becomes a bit unrealistic to play the what-if game. But I do it anyway.
What if my dad had lived? How old would he be? I do it with my mother as well, who died when she was just 61. As for my dad, he was 81, and under the what-if scenario, he would have been 94.
And forever his birthday will also be tied to the day he died.
Because the 13th anniversary of that - is tomorrow.
So Irl Oscher Ritter is on my mind today. And tomorrow. And it's my back story - a slow, mournful drumbeat - to our newscast tonight.
We'll of course have any breaking news of the night, plus our investigative reporter Jim Hoffer takes a look at the real reason behind the delays in delivery and testing of new rail cars on Metro North's New Haven line.
And the reasons are troubling.
Plus, Meteorologist Lee Goldberg has his AccuWeather forecast, and Rob Powers with the night's sports. I hope you can join Sade Baderinwa and me, tonight at 11.
eyewitness news, bill ritter
- LIRR suspended between Huntington, Hicksville 38 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt 25 min ago
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 35 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NYC home invasion robbery suspects caught on camera 8 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures 58 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn;...
25 min ago