Northern Suburbs News
Storms cause damage in Rockland County
NEW CITY, N.Y. (WABC) -- A night of powerful storms created havoc and damage in the New York area.
The hardest hit was Rockland County which experienced flooding and downed trees.
"I've never seen rain like that," said a New City resident.
First came the rain and hail that flooded several streets in New City and then came the boom.
"It was like an explosion. I've never heard anything like that. It was like something blew up. Something big blew up," Israel said.
Nothing blew up but a lot fell down.
Trees toppled into yards and uprooted onto roofs.
"It was horrible," Israel said.
Marilyn and Mel Israel were at their home on Mill Creek Road when Friday afternoon's storm turned nasty and a huge tree in their yard landed right above their heads.
Incredibly, just moments before the roof crashed in, they were sitting at a card table.
"It definitely could have been a horrible situation," Israel said, "My wife started screaming, she lost it."
There were scared families throughout this town, watching the wild weather and the damage it created through their windows.
"A lot of the trees they were cracking like pencils, going up, never seen anything like it," Israel said.
While the Israel's deal with a mess like they've ever seen, they and their neighbors are cleaning up, and counting their blessings.
"I feel lucky no one got hurt," Israel said.
new city, rockland county, storm, storm damage, northern suburbs news
- Man hacked to death in apparent terror attack
- AccuWeather: Stormy day 8 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb?
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Oklahoma tornado damage toll mounting
- Roosevelt Island Peace Officers accused of abusing power
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale
- Jose Canseco investigated for Las Vegas sex assault
- Hats get women ejected from mall
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
8 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos