New York News
Person of interest in custody in E. Harlem murder
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The person of interest in the brutal murder of an elderly woman inside her apartment in East Harlem is now in police custody.
The victim, 73-year-old Julia Hernandez, was apparently suffocated. Her body was found bound by her daughter.
Police have identified and released a photo of a person of interest in the case. They took 35-year-old Gregory Velez into custody just after 7 p.m. on Wednesday.
Friends of the victim tell Eyewitness News that Velez has a daughter with the victim's granddaughter, Jasminda Otero Hernandez. That makes Velez the father of the victim's great granddaugther, who is believed to be around 10 years old.
Julia Hernandez was described as an energetic grandmother, a beloved member of her family and a fixture in her community. Now, police say it appears she may have been killed for her flat screen TV.
Hernandez' daughter found her in her ninth floor apartment at the Wagner Houses on East 120th Street. Police say Hernandez had been suffocated, her head wrapped in plastic. Her feet were bound with a scarf, and her cash, some jewelry and TV were gone.
"When I walked in, I went to the neighbor's house to get the key," daughter Jeannette Hernandez said. "My mother was dead on the floor. She seemed like they had suffocated her, and they had her tied up. It was an apparent robbery. They stole several items from the apartment
Hernandez had lived at the Wagner Houses for half a century.
Police are reportedly are questioning a neighbor who saw a man entering the apartment.
"A beautiful older woman, who was born and raised here," Jasminda Otero Hernandez said. "Everyone knew her. Everyone loved her. Everyone knows her. Why would they do this awful thing to her? I hope you enjoy your flat-screen TV. I really do. I hope you enjoy it."
new york city, east harlem, murder, new york news
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 53 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos