New York News
Broker for would-be Times Square bomber sentenced
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A man unwittingly swept up in a failed terror plot to bomb Times Square last year was sentenced on Thursday to three years' probation.
Mohammad Younis had pleaded guilty to charges he arranged an illegal transfer of $7,000 to Faisal Shazad - money Shazad claimed that the Pakistani Taliban provided to fund his one-man strike against New York City.
Younis and his brother in Pakistan were part of underground money transfer system known as hawala, authorities said. When the Times Square attack was in the planning stages, Younis' brother sent him the cash that he delivered to Shazad at a Long Island railroad station.
Prosecutors in federal court in Manhattan acknowledged that Younis never knew about Shazad's plot. But they argued that a potential sentence of up to six months would be appropriate to deter money transmissions that could fund terrorism.
Attorneys for the Pakistan-born Younis asked for leniency, describing him as a working-class immigrant who posed no danger.
"I'm really sorry," Younis told the judge before he was sentenced. "It will not happen ever, ever again."
Shazad is serving a life sentence after admitting he built a car bomb he left in Times Square to avenge U.S. military intervention in Muslim countries. The bomb malfunctioned but still spread fear throughout the city.
new york city, faisal shahzad, times square bomb, new york news
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's 54 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend 47 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death 54 min ago
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands 53 min ago
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
47 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos