Long Island News
Homeless student becomes Intel semifinalist
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. (WABC) -- At Brentwood High School they've never been prouder.
"I woke up my dad, I'm like, 'Daddy wake up! I'm an Intel semifinalist!' He was like, 'What's that?'" said Samantha Garvey, an Intel semifinalist.
Senior Samantha Garvey has been named a semi finalist in the nation's most prestigious science contest.
"I was like, 'It's Intel! A competition I applied for!' He said, 'Oh that's great,' I said, 'its awesome!'" Garvey said.
Top marks, for an aspiring marine biologist who studied salt marshes off Long Island.
But it's so much more meaningful for the hardship she faces every day.
Samantha and her family lost their home to the economy after a car accident left her parents Leo and Olga unable to work or pay the rent.
"Nothing has stopped her. Not even the bad situation, the economic situation we're going through, not going to stop her," said Olga Garvey, Samantha's mother.
According to the National Center for Family Homelessness, the number of children on the street has skyrocketed to 38% during the recession, to a record 1.6 million homeless kids nationwide.
By state, New York ranks 15th worst with 142,084.
535 of them, are right here in the economically depressed Brentwood School District.
That's more than any other on Long Island.
"It was really difficult to comprehend that here we are in this society and we have so much yet this amazing family doesn't even have a roof over their head," said Rebecca Grella, Brentwood High School.
"There are other people out there people my age going through the same exact thing," Samantha Garvey said, "Hopefully it just makes them see that there's going to be better. And that if I can do it then so can they. They can do just as much if not more than I can do."
Samantha will find out in two weeks if she's been named one of six finalists.
Her next stop is college.
She's waiting to hear from Brown and Yale.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, brentwood, student, long island news, josh einiger
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 20 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 40 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 38 min ago
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after Metro-North derailment 13 min ago
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
20 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos