Long Island News
Homeless Long Island science whiz gets home
BAY SHORE, N.Y. (WABC) -- January has been kind to a teen from Long Island.
First, she was a semi-finalist in the Intel Science Competition.
Then, Samantha Garvey was invited to the State of the Union by President Obama.
Now, Garvey, who was homeless, has a home.
For all of the cameras Samantha Garvey has stood in front of over the past few weeks, it was the jingle of keys that brought her biggest smile yet.
In one whirlwind month, the 18-year-old Brentwood High School senior went from living in a shelter to being named as a semi-finalist in the Intel Science competition.
Samantha's story of persevering through hardships has touched so many, that offers to help poured in.
On Saturday, Garvey, her parents and 13-year-old twin siblings moved into this 3-bedroom house in Bay Shore.
"I'm so overwhelmed, but the good overwhelmed, by all the support all the outreach and all the generosity," Garvey said.
Generosity from elected officials and local businesses bringing not only the rent-stabilized house, but new flooring, furniture and appliances.
The home is a fresh beginning for Garvey and her family.
"Because of the kindness of all these strangers, all these people, I have a house now and it's the most amazing thing in the world," Garvey said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, homeless, long island news
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds 7 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of British soldier in London
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- Protesters across globe rally against Monsanto 17 min ago
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
7 min ago