Long Island News
Homeless Long Island science whiz gets home
BAY SHORE, N.Y. (WABC) -- January has been kind to a teen from Long Island.
First, she was a semi-finalist in the Intel Science Competition.
Then, Samantha Garvey was invited to the State of the Union by President Obama.
Now, Garvey, who was homeless, has a home.
For all of the cameras Samantha Garvey has stood in front of over the past few weeks, it was the jingle of keys that brought her biggest smile yet.
In one whirlwind month, the 18-year-old Brentwood High School senior went from living in a shelter to being named as a semi-finalist in the Intel Science competition.
Samantha's story of persevering through hardships has touched so many, that offers to help poured in.
On Saturday, Garvey, her parents and 13-year-old twin siblings moved into this 3-bedroom house in Bay Shore.
"I'm so overwhelmed, but the good overwhelmed, by all the support all the outreach and all the generosity," Garvey said.
Generosity from elected officials and local businesses bringing not only the rent-stabilized house, but new flooring, furniture and appliances.
The home is a fresh beginning for Garvey and her family.
"Because of the kindness of all these strangers, all these people, I have a house now and it's the most amazing thing in the world," Garvey said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, homeless, long island news
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs 5 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected 29 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown 911 calls released 5 min ago
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized 40 min ago
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line 48 min ago
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism 56 min ago
- Man dies paragliding after hitting ice
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected
29 min ago