Northern Suburbs News
Conn. mayor: I deserved criticism for taco quip
EAST HAVEN, Conn. -- The mayor of a Connecticut town who has been criticized for his quip about eating tacos in response to an anti-Latino bias investigation says he brought the criticism on himself.
He said on Sunday that he wants to move on from the comment.
Four East Haven officers are accused of depriving Latinos of their rights in a pattern of harassment, intimidation and unlawful searches. They face federal charges.
Maturo says East Haven is not a biased community.
He stops short of defending its police against the federal allegations, though.
He says he's awaiting more information from investigators.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, northern suburbs news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
30 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos