Northern Suburbs News
Conn. mayor: I deserved criticism for taco quip
EAST HAVEN, Conn. -- The mayor of a Connecticut town who has been criticized for his quip about eating tacos in response to an anti-Latino bias investigation says he brought the criticism on himself.
He said on Sunday that he wants to move on from the comment.
Four East Haven officers are accused of depriving Latinos of their rights in a pattern of harassment, intimidation and unlawful searches. They face federal charges.
Maturo says East Haven is not a biased community.
He stops short of defending its police against the federal allegations, though.
He says he's awaiting more information from investigators.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, northern suburbs news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 10 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
10 min ago