New York News
Baby giraffe born at Bronx Zoo
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Bronx Zoo has released pictures of a new female giraffe calf born this month.
The zoo says the calf stays close to her mother in the Carter Giraffe Building and will be making her debut in about a week.
The baby giraffe was 6 feet tall and over 100 pounds at birth.
Giraffes are native to grasslands, savannas, and open woodlands in central, east, and southern Africa. The Baringo, or Rothschild's, giraffe is found in western Kenya and eastern Uganda.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- President Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy 19 min ago
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow 48 min ago
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Port Authority relocating owls that are threat to planes 28 min ago
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide