New York News
1 dead, 4 injured in crane accident
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Fire officials say a crane collapse at a Manhattan construction site has killed a worker and injured four others.
It was an incredibly dangerous rescue operation.
The two seriously injured workers were in a pit 60 feet below ground and had to be hoisted to safety.
A seriously injured construction worker was hoisted to safety after a 170-foot crane collapsed and sent debris raining down on him.
It was a precarious rescue operation, as paramedics had to contend with unsecured construction debris and the fallen crane.
"It was a complicated job, not at ground level," said Chief Bill Seelig, FDNY.
The most seriously hurt worker, just 30-years old, was critically injured and required CPR after he was hit by the falling crane just after 7:30 Tuesday night. He later died at the hospital.
One of his family members at the scene was overcome with emotion and required medical attention himself.
The workers were in a pit 60 feet below ground, at the construction site for the 7 subway line extension at 34th Street between 10th and 11th Avenues.
Officials believe a cable on the crane snapped, sending it plummeting to the ground.
The crane operator and flagman also suffered minor injuries.
"Construction workers go to work thinking something terrible may happen," said Thomas Ruskin, retired NYPD detective.
Detectives at the MTA job site are interviewing workers who witnessed the crane collapse, but police say they do not suspect any criminal wrongdoing.
The MTA released a statement saying: "On behalf of the entire MTA, we pray for the recovery of the workers injured as a result of this tragic accident tonight.
We will work together with all proper authorities to conduct a thorough investigation on the circumstances behind this unfortunate incident."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, crane accident, manhattan, new york news, jen maxfield
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide