New York News
Runaway dog delays flights at LaGuardia
QUEENS (WABC) -- A puppy running loose on the runway caused several flight delays at LaGuardia Airport this morning.
The female dog, named Byrdie, got loose while being loaded onto Delta Flight 1573 to Memphis at 10:20 a.m.
The Rhodesian Ridgeback, approximately 30 pounds, ran around on runway 3L for about 10 minutes.
Passengers aboard the plane tweeted "dog on runway LaGuardia causes mayhem, passengers were not allowed to deplane"
Port Authority authorities quickly found the owner and brought her onto the runway to retrieve the runaway pup. The owner called to the dog, and the dog ran to her.
Two or three departing flights were briefly delayed.
Byrdie and her owner eventually made it to Memphis, safe and sound.
It's not the first time this has happened. A far less cute coyote alarmed pilots at Boston's Logan Field 2 years ago.
Last summer diamond back terrapin turtles en route to the beach to lay their eggs were in no hurry to cross the runway at JFK Airport as a Jet Blue pilot waited for clearance to take off.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, laguardia airport, queens, new york news
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 4 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend 33 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City 7 min ago
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest 9 min ago
- L train signal problems in Brooklyn
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
33 min ago