New York News
Runaway dog delays flights at LaGuardia
QUEENS (WABC) -- A puppy running loose on the runway caused several flight delays at LaGuardia Airport this morning.
The female dog, named Byrdie, got loose while being loaded onto Delta Flight 1573 to Memphis at 10:20 a.m.
The Rhodesian Ridgeback, approximately 30 pounds, ran around on runway 3L for about 10 minutes.
Passengers aboard the plane tweeted "dog on runway LaGuardia causes mayhem, passengers were not allowed to deplane"
Port Authority authorities quickly found the owner and brought her onto the runway to retrieve the runaway pup. The owner called to the dog, and the dog ran to her.
Two or three departing flights were briefly delayed.
Byrdie and her owner eventually made it to Memphis, safe and sound.
It's not the first time this has happened. A far less cute coyote alarmed pilots at Boston's Logan Field 2 years ago.
Last summer diamond back terrapin turtles en route to the beach to lay their eggs were in no hurry to cross the runway at JFK Airport as a Jet Blue pilot waited for clearance to take off.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, laguardia airport, queens, new york news
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 7 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Another delayed GM recall detailed by new documents
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
30 min ago