New York News
Babe Ruth jersey sells for $4.4 million
NEW YORK -- A baseball jersey worn by Babe Ruth has sold for more than $4.4 million, a record for any item of sports memorabilia, according to the buyer and seller.
SCP Auctions says the circa 1920 New York Yankees uniform top is the earliest known jersey worn by The Bambino and it fetched $4,415,658 at the company's April auction, which ended Sunday. SCP Auctions says that price broke the previous record of $4,338,500 set in 2010 for James Naismith's founding rules of basketball.
Lelands.com says it submitted the winning bid for Ruth's jersey, which had been displayed for years at The Babe Ruth Birthplace Museum in Baltimore.
Suzan French, a spokeswoman for Lelands.com, says the company plans to sell the jersey privately rather than re-auction it.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york yankees, new york news
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion 24 min ago
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
- Police ID suspect in theft of 1-year old's earrings 46 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million 12 min ago
- FDA pushes to get antibiotics out of meat
- LI pet store thief wanted for stealing puppy
- Interpreter at Mandela ceremony called a 'fake'