New York News
Babe Ruth jersey sells for $4.4 million
NEW YORK -- A baseball jersey worn by Babe Ruth has sold for more than $4.4 million, a record for any item of sports memorabilia, according to the buyer and seller.
SCP Auctions says the circa 1920 New York Yankees uniform top is the earliest known jersey worn by The Bambino and it fetched $4,415,658 at the company's April auction, which ended Sunday. SCP Auctions says that price broke the previous record of $4,338,500 set in 2010 for James Naismith's founding rules of basketball.
Lelands.com says it submitted the winning bid for Ruth's jersey, which had been displayed for years at The Babe Ruth Birthplace Museum in Baltimore.
Suzan French, a spokeswoman for Lelands.com, says the company plans to sell the jersey privately rather than re-auction it.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york yankees, new york news
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend 27 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Investigation after police shoot suspect in Conn.
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris 38 min ago
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: Boston Marathon Last Mile