New York News
TLC considering 20 percent taxi fare hike
NEW YORK (WABC) -- New York City's Taxi and Limousine Commission has agreed to formally consider a fare hike.
The mayor's office supports the idea, which means we may all be paying more to hail a cab beginning this summer.
The TLC is looking at raising fares 16 to 20 percent. So how much is that to you?
Right now, an average taxi ride of about three miles costs $11.82. If a 20 percent increase passes, that average ride would cost you $14.18.
The industry says income isn't keeping up with expenses.
"In real numbers, drivers, after laboring 60- to 70-hour work weeks, with no health care, no disability, no kind of benefit at all, are still earning less today than they did six years ago," said Bhairavi Desai, of the New York Taxi Workers Alliance.
Drivers say they are losing money because they are paying more for gas and in fees. After working 12 hour shifts, they just aren't taking home very much money, sometimes as low as $50 to $100 a day.
In 2009 passengers were hit with a 50-cent surcharge to help fund mass transit, but the fare itself hasn't gone up since 2006.
Because of that, Commissioner David Yassky says it's reasonable for drivers and owners to put this on the table now.
A public hearing on the hike is scheduled for May 31. If approved, the increase could take effect in July.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, taxi, new york news
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded 1 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg
- Funeral held for NYPD traffic agent hit by truck
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later 21 min ago
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- US vet, 85, back home after detained in North Korea
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary 54 min ago