Lifestyle & Fun
Preventing sunburns with SPF-infused products
It's that time of year sun-lovers crave. So many people are thinking about sun protection.
"I don't know. I don't do much; I just go out there," said sunbather Allie Swartz.
Dermatologist Dr. Naomi Lawrence says that people have got to love their skin more than the sun, and for good reason.
"When you get a sunburn, you've damaged the DNA in your cells. They recover, but that damage, you don't get rid of," said Dr. Lawrence.
Sunbather Dayna Zeises knows this all too well.
"Yeah, my grandmother passed away from melanoma, so I try to stay out of the sun, but when I go, I like to get my tan," Zeises said.
Dr. Lawrence says cancer-causing damage can happen quickly.
"When we're talking melanoma, it can happen in a single sunburn," she adds.
Some beauty and grooming companies now offer laundry detergents, shampoos, and makeup foundations with skin protection. They have an ingredient called tensorb with an ultra violet protection factor.
There is also SPF-infused clothing. Outdoors stores like LL Bean carry many SPF shirts, pants, hats, and scarves.
Dr. Lawrence says those clothes work well, but you probably already have a few pieces that can protect you from the sun already.
"You can pretty cheaply find a dark tight weave t-shirt that's an SPF of 25. The detergent claims SPF of 30," she says.
The best that you can do, the doctor says, is layered protection, sunblocks, good hats, cover-ups and limited time under the rays.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun, toni yates
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- Success Academy parents to sue in charter school fight 35 min ago
- Obama to meet with Ukraine prime minister Wednesday 19 min ago
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
More Lifestyle and Fun
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos