New York News
Baby flamingo takes first steps at Bronx Zoo
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Bronx Zoo has an adorable new addition.
The Caribbean flamingo hatchling recently took its first steps, and it was caught on video.
The mother flamingo helps the chick to its feet as the baby stands on a nest mound in the pond outside the aquatic birds exhibit.
Flamingos are hatched with white, downy plumage.
They develop their trademark pink color from pigments in their food, which is made up of algae, crustaceans and other invertebrates.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, new york news
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion 37 min ago
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire 1 min ago
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in 11 min ago
- Police ID suspect in theft of 1-year old's earrings
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million
- FDA pushes to get antibiotics out of meat
- LI pet store thief wanted for stealing puppy
- Interpreter at Mandela ceremony called a 'fake'
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
11 min ago