New York News
Baby flamingo takes first steps at Bronx Zoo
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Bronx Zoo has an adorable new addition.
The Caribbean flamingo hatchling recently took its first steps, and it was caught on video.
The mother flamingo helps the chick to its feet as the baby stands on a nest mound in the pond outside the aquatic birds exhibit.
Flamingos are hatched with white, downy plumage.
They develop their trademark pink color from pigments in their food, which is made up of algae, crustaceans and other invertebrates.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, new york news
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 1 winning ticket sold for record Powerball jackpot 1 min ago
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos