New York News
Baby flamingo takes first steps at Bronx Zoo
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Bronx Zoo has an adorable new addition.
The Caribbean flamingo hatchling recently took its first steps, and it was caught on video.
The mother flamingo helps the chick to its feet as the baby stands on a nest mound in the pond outside the aquatic birds exhibit.
Flamingos are hatched with white, downy plumage.
They develop their trademark pink color from pigments in their food, which is made up of algae, crustaceans and other invertebrates.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, new york news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 23 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
23 min ago