Long Island News
Youth baseball coach charged with harassing rival
COMMACK -- There was much more to talk about them just, runs, hits and errors at many baseball diamonds in Suffolk County on Sunday.
Both parents and players were buzzing about, what seems like a made-for-TV drama, with John Reardon in the leading role.
"I don't think anything is going to happen, hopefully he's learned his lesson," said victim John Reardon.
"He" is this man, Robert Sanfilippo, police maintain, the villain in this story.
He manages the youth baseball team, the Long Island Vengeance and authorities say stalked and threatened Reardon and his family, after the two men got into it during a game over Memorial Day weekend.
"It kind of escalated from there, words back and forth, he made a couple of threats, he was going to beat me up in the parking lot," said Reardon.
Reardon didn't give it much thought until August 23rd, when he tells Eyewitness News he got a series of disturbing threats.
"That day I got about 4, 5, 6, texts, threatening me and my family, showing pictures of my house, pictures of my family," he adds.
One showed John and his 10-year-old son at the bus stop, in front of his home.Then he put one and one together, called police and remembered that argument he had with Sanfilippo.
It didn't take long, police say Sanfilippo had purchased what he thought was an untraceable phone and determined he was the one sending John the messages.
Sanfilippo was arrested but is not out of jail and did not answer his door. ---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, yaphank, stalking, long island news, kemberly richardson
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 27 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Video: Icy cold temperatures hit Tri-State area 22 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death 55 min ago
- Mega Millions hits $400M jackpot 8 min ago
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Icy cold temperatures hit Tri-State area
22 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
55 min ago
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
27 min ago