Lifestyle & Fun
Video: Dog nurses abandoned kitten back to health
MINNESOTA (WABC) -- A dog has become mother to a stray kitten in the small town of Jordan, Minnesota.
The 4-year-old Pekingese, named Mittens, has adopted the tiny feline, and has even started producing milk.
Mittens' owner, Pat Weber, says the kitten was just days old when her grandson found her in the family's barn and brought her into their house in early September.
Weber says the 2-inch kitten was "ice cold," but moved in her palm. She wrapped the animal in a warm towel and it started meowing, which attracted Mittens.
The kitten, now named Bootsie, began suckling on Mittens.
Weber says her dog, which had a litter two years ago, has nursed Bootsie ever since.
"Mittens has been mothering this baby, as far as she is concerned it's hers," she said. "And as far as the kitten is concerned, this is her mother. Yes, this is her mother, every chance she gets she nurses on her and Mittens watches her, cleans her."
When she asked her vet about the milk, he told her that "hormones and strange and do funny things."
"I thought Oh my God, what a miracle," she said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
lifestyle & fun
- 9 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term 18 min ago
- Jersey City boil water advisory in effect after main break 7 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 47 min ago
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013