Long Island News
Grace Lee decides to remain on life support
NEW YORK (WABC) -- In a dramatic reversal, Eyewitness News has learned exclusively that Grace Lee has acquiesced to her parents' wishes and has declared that she no longer wishes to be disconnected from life-support at North Shore Hospital.
This comes after the patient's deeply religious parents waged a legal battle to keep their daughter alive.
Lee's lawyer says that the 28-year-old, who suffers from brain cancer, has changed her mind because she wants to, "make peace with my God" The parents appeal has been denied and Grace Lee has been found competent to make her own medical decisions.
That question has been the subject of court hearings on Long Island.
Lee has been on a ventilator since a stroke last month that left her paralyzed from the neck down. She has been battling cancer since last year.
Her deeply religious parents were trying to stop her from removing the respirator, saying her death would be suicide, and would prevent her from going to heaven.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, long island news, n.j. burkett
- 3 critical after fire tears through Brooklyn home 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique 50 min ago
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated 55 min ago
- MTA launches new apps for LIRR, Metro-North riders 44 min ago
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident