Temptations of mall food courts
NEW YORK (WABC) -- As you head to the malls to do your holiday shopping, be careful! There's a lot of damage to be done, and not just to your wallet. Consumer Reports tells us about the dangerous temptations lurking in the food court.
Take a Cinnabon Classic. It's loaded with 880 calories, that's roughly half of what we should be eating for an entire day.
At Starbucks, watch out for the Java Chip Frappuccino with whole milk and whipped cream. A grande has 460 calories and 18 grams of fat!
And at Dunkin Donuts' a muffin might seem harmless, even healthy, but the Blueberry one will set you back 460 calories.
With all those not-so-great choices, there are some ways to steer clear. If you're having a snack, you should just have about 150 calories. Instead of that muffin, how about some caramel corn? Doc Popcorn's version has just 130 calories per cup. A better beverage choice is the Light Banana Berry Smoothie at Jamba Juice. It has 170 calories and no fat at all.
And your cup of lowfat frozen yogurt can become a calorie bomb when you pick toppings such as peanut butter cups, peanuts, and M & M's. Instead opt for strawberries, blueberries, or bananas. They are low in calories and fat-free!
Also be aware that more and more snack stops are offering lower calorie versions of popular items. Remember that Starbucks Frappuccino? The light version, with nonfat milk, has 260 fewer calories.
Next time you visit the food court, navigate carefully so that you don't blow up your diet.
Complete Ratings and recommendations on all kinds of products, including appliances, cars & trucks, and electronic gear, are available on Consumer Reports' website.
consumer reports, healthy you, food, consumer news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause 14 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday 47 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mayor names Kathryn Garcia new head of sanitation
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn
- Man, 65, shot to death on street in Clinton Hill
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK 51 min ago
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled 8 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system...
8 min ago
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for...
14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
47 min ago