Parents complain about long school bus service in NYC
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A number of parents in New York City are upset by what they claim are the ongoing school bus horror stories their children have endured since the start of the school year.
And now they are demanding the city do something about it.
Parents whose children ride buses to school had a long list of complaints; especially parents who have children with disabilities.
"My son is 3 years old, he attends Cusack, and he was on a bus on September 12th for 4 and a half hours," said Jazmine Tavarez.
Each school year brings needed adjustments for school bus schedules, but some parents say this year has been a disaster.
"My son, right now this year, is in school an hour to an hour and a half late every single day," said Carin Vanderdonk.
Beth Torin says school bus lateness costs valuable instruction for her daughter.
"So she's missing her first class and she has a learning disability, so she needs to be there so she can learn," she said.
Parents are also concerned about staffing and training of school bus personnel, and about safety issues, especially for wheelchair bound kids.
Johnnie Stevens and his son, Kwami confirm bus lateness is nothing new.
"Sometimes I get a headache because I was on the bus for so long," he said.
Queens city council member Elizabeth Crowley says the families are being shortchanged.
"It's because the DOE wants to save money and they don't provide enough school buses to the children of the city of New York," she said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
education news, art mcfarland
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville 8 min ago
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field 19 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- New York City Department of Education
- Independent Schools Admissions Association
- Inside Schools
- After-School Association
- New York State Dept. of Education
- New York Office of Teaching Initiatives
- United Federation of Teachers
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey Commission on Higher Education
- New Jersey Education Association
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos