Victory for transgender former teacher
NEW YORK (WABC) -- 60-year-old Marla Krolikowskii, formerly known as Mark, was fired after 32 years in October, 2012 as a teacher at St. Francis Catholic high school in Queens. She claims it was because she declared she is transgender, that the then vice principal called her worse than gay.
"It's terrible. They robbed me of dignity and livelihood I loved," said Krolikowski.
School officials refused to speak to Eyewitness News on Monday.
"She was fired for appropriate non-discriminatory reasons. She was insubordinate," said St. Francis Prep Attorney Phil Semprevivo.
However, Andrew Kimler, Krolikowskii's attorney said that there was no insubordination, and that the insubordination was that she was transgender.
Both sides squared off in court Monday, Judge Duane Hart was openly skeptical about the school's insubordination claim.
"Insubordination after 32 years of teaching? And the insubordination seems to coincide with the expression of being transgender?" Judge Hart said.
Judge Hart then rejected a separate motion by the school that Krolikowski's was essentially a minister, and that religious institutions have the right to hire and fire those employees without court interference.
If you have a tip about this or any other issue you'd like investigated, please give our tipline a call at 877-TIP-NEWS. You may also e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
investigations, sarah wallace
- Gunman dead in shooting at Colorado high school 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Winter storm Saturday 25 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- New York City issues snow alert 19 min ago
- Man in custody after incident at Chelsea school 6 min ago
- Baruch College student died from head injuries, coroner says
- Police searching for missing Rider U student
- Newtown victims to be remembered Saturday
- Photos: Photos of the Newtown school shooting victims
- Kansas man arrested in car bomb plot at airport 11 min ago
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email 11 min ago
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books
- AccuWeather: Winter storm Saturday
25 min ago