Long Island News
Electrical worker from Florida beaten in East Meadow
EAST MEADOW (WABC) -- A Florida electrical worker was attacked outside an East Meadow restaurant on Friday night after finishing a 16-hour shift.
After working a 16-hour shift, 34-year-old John Applewhite, of Lakeland, Florida, was walking into the Texas Roadhouse restaurant on Hempstead Turnpike with a coworker.
John's father, Morris Applewhite, said his son had just locked up his company vehicle and was walking into the restaurant when a suspect hollered at him. John Applewhite thought the man was asking about his power. Morris said that many people had been stopping John and his coworkers on the street to ask how things were going, so that is what he assumed was happening.
As John walked over to the car, the suspect got out of his car and walked towards the worker. That is when the suspect punched him in the face.
John's coworker raced over and pulled the man off of him. The suspect bit that worker in the finger, sending him to the hospital as well.
John was taken to Nassau University Medical Center, where he was treated for a broken nose and swelling around his eye.
John flew back to Tampa on Saturday and went right to Lakeland Regional Medical Center. He is being treated for a broken jaw and a broken cheekbone and swelling around his face.
John has worked for Florida-based Lakeland Electric for 12 years. He was on Long Island with a crew of 24 to help LIPA restore power.
Nassau police are investigating, and no arrests have been made.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, lipa, east meadow, nassau county, hurricane, hurricane sandy, long island news
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Bloomberg rides 7 train to station he helped build
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos