Long Island News
Electrical worker from Florida beaten in East Meadow
EAST MEADOW (WABC) -- A Florida electrical worker was attacked outside an East Meadow restaurant on Friday night after finishing a 16-hour shift.
After working a 16-hour shift, 34-year-old John Applewhite, of Lakeland, Florida, was walking into the Texas Roadhouse restaurant on Hempstead Turnpike with a coworker.
John's father, Morris Applewhite, said his son had just locked up his company vehicle and was walking into the restaurant when a suspect hollered at him. John Applewhite thought the man was asking about his power. Morris said that many people had been stopping John and his coworkers on the street to ask how things were going, so that is what he assumed was happening.
As John walked over to the car, the suspect got out of his car and walked towards the worker. That is when the suspect punched him in the face.
John's coworker raced over and pulled the man off of him. The suspect bit that worker in the finger, sending him to the hospital as well.
John was taken to Nassau University Medical Center, where he was treated for a broken nose and swelling around his eye.
John flew back to Tampa on Saturday and went right to Lakeland Regional Medical Center. He is being treated for a broken jaw and a broken cheekbone and swelling around his face.
John has worked for Florida-based Lakeland Electric for 12 years. He was on Long Island with a crew of 24 to help LIPA restore power.
Nassau police are investigating, and no arrests have been made.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, lipa, east meadow, nassau county, hurricane, hurricane sandy, long island news
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub 47 min ago
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- NJ man dies in Long Island Sound canoe accident
- Newtown mental health funding running low
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown 21 min ago
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after...
21 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos