New Jersey News
Asbury Park scraps boardwalk bathing suit ban
ASBURY PARK -- It's no longer against the law to wear a bathing suit on the boardwalk in Asbury Park.
The city council in the New Jersey shore town on Wednesday voted to repeal a 1958 ordinance that restricted swimsuits to the beach.
The ordinance said: "No person clad in bathing attire shall be on the boardwalk or the public walks adjacent thereto."
Former Councilwoman Louise Murray pressed the council to enforce the ordinance, saying allowing boardwalk bar and restaurant patrons to wear skimpy attire threatened Asbury's "classy" image.
Current Councilwoman Sue Henderson tells radio station New Jersey 101.5 that times have changed and we need to change with them.
Changing rooms that once were connected to the beach by tunnels and catwalks disappeared years ago.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, asbury park, new jersey news
- AccuWeather Alert: Stormy day 32 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Threat prompts lockdown at Saddle Brook schools 47 min ago
- UK: London terror attack suspects had been probed
- West Point soldier charged with videotaping women
- Truck driver helps catch hit-and-run suspect in Queens
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday 50 min ago
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- Operation Swill: cheap booze in premium liquor bottles
- Photos: Accuweather forecast in pictures
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem...
50 min ago
- AccuWeather Alert: Stormy day
32 min ago