New York News
Penalties increasing for drivers caught cell phone
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Getting caught using a cell phone while driving just got a whole lot more expensive in New York.
Starting Wednesday, drivers who are nabbed talking or texting face another punishment: two points on their license.
The state DMV is citing statistics that distracted drivers get into more accidents than anyone else. So now, with this new tougher law, you could ultimately end up losing your license.
"They don't catch me yet, so when they catch me, I'm going to learn to stop," Upper West Side resident Evelyn Roman said.
Roman is the kind of driver the new, more severe penalty is targeting - drivers who continue to talk on handheld cell phones behind the wheel, even though it's illegal.
Eyewitness News had no problem finding them, and they weren't ashamed to admit they do it.
"I definitely do," one driver said. "And surf the Web."
Now, anyone caught talking on a handheld phone while driving will get a $100 fine and two points. Until now, only drivers convicted of texting while driving had points added to their license.
Points can lead to more costly insurance and, if enough are accumulated, a suspended license.
"It seemed like the penalties were not severe enough to curb the behavior," said Robert Sinclair, of AAA New York. "With more than 300,000 tickets issued, it's a $100 fine. And there's an 80 percent conviction rate, and people are still doing it to a large degree."
Back in November of 2001, New York became the first state in the nation to crack down on chatty drivers.
new york city, new york news
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 29 min ago
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 43 min ago
- Greenwich Village fatal bus-truck suspect due in court 18 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 35 min ago
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25 43 min ago
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building 14 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos