New York News
College student from VA missing in NYC
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There is a worrisome search for a missing college student from Virginia who last seen in Manhattan celebrating the holidays.
They held a candlelight vigil in Virginia Tuesday night for missing college student, Ian Burnet.
They are desperately clinging to hope that he will return home safely and soon.
"No matter what has happened, if he's out there alive we want to welcome him back," said Mark Burnet, Ian's father.
The 22-year-old engineering junior at Virginia Commonwealth University jumped on a bus the day after Christmas to spend New Year's in New York.
He was staying with friends on W. 139th Street by Riverside Drive.
The next day he texted his father.
On the 30th, he apparently told a friend he was having a horrible time and then the cold, haunting silence.
Police found his cell phone later that day.
"If you could just come home, your parents, your parents love you," said Althea Bernheim, a relative.
Althea Bernheim, a relative in Jersey City, says the family is tortured by the unknown.
They have contact with the police and set up a Facebook page, which is drawing in volunteers like Pam Andes who has helped print and post more than 1,000 fliers in the area.
"I've never met him, but I feel the love for him and I want to find him," said Pam Andes, a volunteer.
Burnet graduated valedictorian from high school and was on a full scholarship to study engineering.
It's been a week and a half now of sheer agony for his family and there's still no sighting of their bright and talkative son.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, missing person, new york news, lucy yang
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's in Nassau County 41 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers 6 min ago
- Freight train, truck collide in West Nyack
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 46 min ago
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City 45 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners
- USA to open against Ghana in '14 World Cup
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
46 min ago
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
45 min ago