New York News
Bronx pastor charged with sex assaults
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A pastor in the Bronx who runs a storefront church has been charged with rape and other offenses for allegedly having a sexual relationship with a second teenage girl.
Reverend Michael Clare was already charged with having a sexual relationship with a young girl who attends the church.
Clare, 40, runs the Harvest Worship Center International on White Plains Road.
He was free on bail when he was taken into custody again following the new charges after a court appearance in connection with the first case.
Clare was arraigned on these new charges before State Supreme Court Justice Megan Tallmer. The judge set bail on the new case at $350,000 cash or $200,000 bond and also raised the bail on the first case to $350,000 cash or $200,000 bond.
Clare is now being held in lieu of $700,000 cash bail or $250,000 bond. Justice Tallmer also prohibited the defendant from being around children under 16- years-old and ordered the surrender of his passport.
In this new indictment, the grand jury charged the pastor, of West Harrison, New York, with one count of Rape in the 2nd degree, one count of Sexual Misconduct, three counts of Sexual Abuse, one count of Criminal Sexual Act in the 3rd degree, and Endangering the Welfare of a Child. The most serious charge, Rape in the 2nd degree, is a Class D felony offense which is punishable by a maximum sentence of up to 7 years imprisonment if convicted.
It is alleged that the sexual offenses occurred on at least three occasions from June 22, 2009 through June 30, 2011 at the school at 4036 White Plains Road, at his home on Quincy Avenue, and his residence on Gainsborg Avenue in West Harrison, New York. The victim was a 14-year-old student at the Harvest Preparatory Academy at the time of the first encounter and was 16-years-old when the relationship ended in June 2011.
The crimes alleged in Clare's earlier case include the charge of Rape in the 1st degree, a Class B felony offense punishable by a maximum sentence of up to 25 years imprisonment. In that matter Clare is accused of engaging in a 3 ½ year sexual relationship with a member of his congregation which allegedly began in April 2006, several months before the victim's 13th birthday and continued through January 2010 sometime after the victim's 16th birthday.
According to this latest indictment, the relationship at the center of these new charges continued long after the defendant was arrested and indicted in 2010 for his alleged conduct concerning the first victim.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, sexual assault, rape, new york news, carolina leid
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 55 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
1 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos