New York News
Source: Cops fire over 80 rounds in Harlem shooting
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police in Harlem shot a man who allegedly killed his 13-year-old sister and wounded his mother early Tuesday.
Eyewitness News has learned the gunman was shot by two NYPD officer who fired over 80 rounds.
The suspect, who was hit in the leg and torso, is in custody and facing charges.
The shooting happened around 3:30 a.m. following a foot chase that ended on the 155th Street exit ramp of the Harlem River Drive.
A large police presence was visible as officers set up dozens of evidence markers around the scene.
The incident began when the 13-year-old girl was fatally shot in the head and her 44-year-old mother wounded on the 12th floor of the Polo Grounds Houses at 2971 Eighth Avenue. The mother identified the suspect as her son, Steven Murray. She described him to responding officers, who began searching for the 28-year-old man, seen fleeing the scene in a white T-shirt.
A police sergeant and his partner who were canvassing the surrounding area found and confronted Murray, who ran. A pursuit followed, which ended with Murray being shot. He was taken to Harlem Hospital, where he is listed in serious condition.
A .22-caliber revolver was found at the scene.
EMS responded and transported the mother, identified as Christina Fryar-Brunson, to Harlem hospital, where she is currently in critical condition. The girl, Annie Fryar, was pronounced dead at the scene. She was reportedly a student at nearby PS 46.
"It's awfully difficult in a moving confrontation for police to hit the target every time. This is clearly someone who is among the worst of the worst in terms of depravity and the disregard he showed for human life," said Eugene O'Donnell, a former NYPD officer and prosecutor.
And once again a community left with very few meaningful answers for her grieving young friends.
The officers were being treated for trauma.
The cause of the shooting is under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, harlem, police shooting, shooting, new york news
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos