New York News
Search for missing woman in Queens
HOLLIS (WABC) -- Police and family members are asking for help locating a missing woman in Queens.
Rajwinder Kaur, 26, has not been seen or heard from since leaving her home on 198tge Street Sunday night, according to investigators.
"She always comes home. She always lets us know where she is," sister Gurpreet Kaur said.
She left their Hollis, Queens, home on her way to volunteer at a Brooklyn homeless shelter, but less than two hours later, Gurpreet says she received a cryptic message that sent chills up her spine.
"I received a text message from her basically saying that the girl with this phone is dead, was smiling," Gurpreet said. "I thought it was weird. My sister would never send something like that."
Gurpreet frantically sent texts of her own, saying "Call me now!" "Who are you?" and "Please call!"
There was no response. The family called in police.
They're also mounting a five-borough search of their own, enlisting relatives and friends to post flyers near shelters and other agencies where Rajwinder might have volunteered.
"To see if anybody knows her, to see if any at the shelter recognizes her anything like that so that's what we're doing right now. You've got to be worried sick? Very worried beyond comprehension," Gary Kaur, her brother, said.
The Kaurs describe Rajwinder as a very devout Sikh and a former social worker who spends most of her time either at home or volunteering to help those in need.
They are praying that someone will help them find her.
"We just want to tell her we love her and we hope she's okay and she comes home soon," Gurpreet said.
Kaur is described as 5-foot-3 and 130 pounds, with a thin build and a medium complexion.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crime stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477). You can also submit tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website at www.nypdcrimestoppers.com or by texting tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter TIP577.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, jamaica, hollis, queens, missing person, new york news, sandra bookman
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance 50 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues 43 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- 2nd murder conviction in death of cop Peter Figoski 53 min ago
- 'Unusual condition' seen before Metro North crash
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- 2 men arrested in after incident with Pakistan plane
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer 11 min ago
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
43 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos